Vegetable Garden Business is the most recommended and relevant plan for the pandemic lockdown phase. It doesn’t mean that the business is unworthy for normal days.
The vegetable is an inevitable part of our nutritious meals in which we get vitamins, minerals, fibers, carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. Vegetables are used in multiple formats such as in soup, salads, veg-biryani, and boiled spicy vegetables.
If the idea of starting your own vegetable garden business has come to your mind, I must this is the right time and you have come to the right place.
In this blog, we’re going to learn all the necessary steps as well as the profitability of vegetable garden business.
What is a Vegetable Garden Business?
In vegetable garden business, you set up a garden to grow seasonal vegetables and other plants that are very useful for human consumption. It is a good fit for both a marginal (small) and a big farmer. For a small-scale business, we commend planting this in the backyard of your property.
A vegetable garden can also be a network of several plots which are divided into rows so that they can be used to grow different kinds of crops. It is noticed that the vegetables grown here should be seasonal, trending in demand, and nutritious.
The vegetables can be categorized into certain groups and they are:
- Leafy Vegetables: Collard greens, Lettuce, spinach, mustard greens, cabbage, broccoli raab, turnip greens, etc.
- Root vegetables: Beets, turnips, carrots, sweet potato, radish, jicama, parsnips, etc.
- Fruit vegetables: Tomatoes, cucumbers, peas, pumpkins, eggplant, okra, peppers, etc.
- Bulb Vegetables: Garlic, onion, leek, shallot, spring onion, fennel, etc.
- Flower vegetables: cauliflower, broccoli, globe artichoke, broccoflower, etc.
- Fungi vegetable: Mushroom
- Fuber vegetables: Kumara, potatoes, yam, taro, ulluco, etc.
Let’s now know the vegetables you can grow in different seasons.
Summer season vegetables
- Bottle Gourd
- Lady’s Finger
Winter season vegetables
- Mustard Green
- Sweet Potatoes
- White Radish
Rainy season vegetables
- Green Chilli
- Lady’s Finger
Why Should You Start a Vegetable Garden Business?
Vegetables are not only the most consumable regularly used products but also are an essential part of our meal to complete our balanced diet. It’s either a doctor’s advice or people who are health conscious always demand, customers always look for organic eatables, and that in turn leads to a rise in demand for your vegetable business.
The business also provides you the opportunity to grow environmentally friendly vegetables and deliver healthy food to your customers.
The profit margin can be around 200 percent if you apply recommended steps and market your product flawlessly. The business is open to selling the vegetables to restaurants, hotels, party resorts, small vegetable shops in your location, and tiffin centers.
With time, you can become an expert in different niches such as organic and exotic vegetables, and native plants.
To know about reselling business read : How to Start a Reselling Business in India – My Business Ideas
For antique collection business plan read : How to Start an Antique Collection Business? A Guide with all Tips
Steps to Start a Vegetable Garden Business
- Review your target audience: For listing your target audience, you have to do a survey both the ways offline (in the local market) and online (for your locality).
- Thinking about a big-budget business, you should make a catalog for famous restaurants, hotels, malls, shops, and party resorts.
- If you are planning to start the business on a small scale, make a list of the nearest vegetable stores, small refreshment corners, local dharmshalas, and local apartment consumers.
Once you do that, try knowing their preferred vegetables and average consumption that will of course help you to grow vegetables according to the stock demand.
Reviewing your target audience will help you understand the estimated demand, total required investments, and very importantly the location you should start the business at.
- Contact dealers & brands: The second big task is to approach the local dealers and brands to build a relationship and to know what kinds of improvements they are looking for in the fruits and vegetable deal. Moreover, you will also understand their demands and this leads to the understanding exact digit of your target audience.
- Select delivery location: Completing the survey will lead you to another thing and that is to choose the correct location for your business. Starting a business at any place is possible but the impossible task is to run a business profitably if there are already such companies working.
- Set up and maintain a warehouse: Yes, it is one of the important homework that should be considered before you start selling your products. After planning your location, you need to set up a warehouse and maintain it on regular basis.
The warehouse must be clean, hygienic, pest-free, and guarded by keepers. Moreover, this is not easy work to maintain a warehouse but it also helps you to manage the stock.
You also should not miss delivering fresh vegetables and fruits, it may hamper your relationship with customers.
- Use social media, website & apps: Without a doubt, it is far better than using the traditional way to promote our brand. To target more customers (clients), you can set up your online profile through social media networks, your website, and a mobile app. This will help customers to reach and order online without driving to your store.
Definitely the website and mobile application can also help you to set up payment modes online for your customers. Offering an array of payment methods makes customers happier to purchase from your online store.
The options you can opt for are e-wallets, credit cards, debit cards, net banking, cash on delivery, and a few more.
- Staff & budget: The business may require a team of 10-12 members. Obviously 4-5 skilled members for gardening, 2-3 helpers to bring raw materials and deliver products, at least 2 technically sound members for managing online movements, and one supervisor/manager.
According to your affordability and required staff, it is necessary to set up a budget and secure funds for all the investments. You need to set up a budget for approximately one year.
Forming a budget for your online vegetable store is also a point to consider so that you can be well prepared before you start. Online promotion takes a small investment and can provide you with better profit.
The budget includes registration fees, online vegetable store development charges, staff salary, grocery expenses, rent of your warehouse, electricity bills, and miscellaneous.
- Equipment & Total Investments: There will be some investment requirements in a large-scale vegetable garden business.
- Plot On Rent: it needs around 3000 square feet area for vegetable garden business. The rent varies according to the locality, an average amount should be around 70-80 K INR a month.
- Staff Salary: It should be around 1.5 Lacs INR a month.
- Horizontal Air Fans: It can cost 80 K INR.
- Environmental Control Equipment: This will cost around 2-3 Lacs INR.
- Heaters + Poly Inflation Kit + Low Voltage Wiring Package + multiple Protective + Equipment: These devices cost around 2 Lacks INR.
- Fertilizers: It varies according to the vegetables, however, the average required fund is 1 Lac INR.
- Seeds Packets: It will cost around 50 K INR.
- Garden Vegetable Equipment: 50 K INR.
- water supply: Water resources will be related to the total area and the crops you grow.
In case, you are not financially strong and still wish to start your business, you have possibilities to achieve. You can visit your banks to get loans. If you don’t want to visit a branch, and looking for a simple method for this, you can apply for a loan online and there will be a few simple steps. We also would like to share a few direct links, where you can apply for a loan for your business. Yes, multiple financiers help set up small and large businesses.
Bajaj Finance: https://bit.ly/3QdefQx
- Specific Region & Climate Condition: Before investing a single penny in your vegetable garden business, you need to learn the climate, temperature, moisture, and daylight properties for every crop and the location you are planning to set up the business. This is an unavoidable factor for agriculture.
Read also : How to Start a Gift-Wrapping Business?
Is a Vegetable Garden Business Profitable?
There is no doubt that you will have a great profit in a vegetable garden business as it is a regular consumable item and you can sell your organic fruits and vegetables at a handsome price in the nearest market. According to the report, this business has approximately a profit of 200 percent.
Not only by selling fruits and vegetables but also several other products work here.
Let us know what other areas you can work on to earn money.
- By selling plants (saplings).
- By selling Seeds.
- By selling fresh and dried culinary herbs.
- By selling fresh and dried medical herbs.
- By selling a few cutting flowers that people use to gift and decorate.
- By selling bulbs and tubers saplings.
- By selling photos of your garden.
- By growing pumpkins and gourds for crafts and fall decoration.
10 Most profitable vegetables to grow
- Goji Berries
- Bonsai Plants
What are the Benefits of Growing a Vegetable Garden for Yourself at Home?
- Well, if you are not thinking to start a vegetable garden business to sell but for your use, it has several benefits.
- Your garden can improve your health.
- It saves money on food.
- This is eco-friendly.
- It helps maintain health as it is an effective and enjoyable workout process.
- A vegetable garden also minimizes inorganic waste.
Are There any Cons to Starting a Gardening Business?
No business is a cup of tea or a bed of roses for everyone. There will be no doubt a few challenges in starting a vegetable garden business. We should understand the dark side as well with all the befits and advantages.
Due to lockdown in the whole world, candidates for starting such a profitable business have increased a lot. You will have a big competitor and you require to work very hard. Good planning, investment, and a relevant niche are needed to compete in the market.
Your extensive knowledge of organic materials, pesticides, and products will help you to fight. You also should have the best-skilled staff for both gardening and marketing.
Registration from the local authority, business and tax licenses, and other certifications are essential for this business.
If you are living in a seasonal climate, it will be tough to run such a business as you will need crop rotation.
A vegetable garden business becomes a success if all the aspects are understood correctly. It is necessary to have a proper online and offline survey for the location and competitors. After that, the most important thing is to choose your niche if you want to go with a small or large business scale. Understanding the crops and their required seasonal factors should be studied as a high priority.
Setting up the business social media profile, well-organized website, and business app for mobiles is also the most important part that can’t be missed.
Another essential step is to make a team of skilled staff so that the business can run like a rocket. Security of funds for several investments can be managed through any of the several financiers. The business wants a well-planned and organized set-up not only for the short aim but also for the long one.
We are looking forward to your queries and other requirements. We have a request too to drop feedback here since that enlightens us to perform and gather information in a better way.
Read also : How to Start a Furniture Repair Business : Step By Step Guide